Tuesday 27 November 2012

Homemade Decorations


Some more All is Bright (by MME) papers for my page today.  I made this for the Tando blog whose theme is 'Deck the Halls' this week which is why I chose this particular photo of my sons penguin decoration that hangs proudly on our tree.  I started on the background by using the tando snowflake mask and scraping gesso through the snowflakes, I then use actual snowflakes as a mask and spritzed over white glimmer mist, and added some puddles of blue patina to make some drips.....and then I nearly abandoned the background....but on the cybercrop over at ukscrappers one of my teamies said to keep going with backgrounds even if you are not sure about them.....so I did.  I edged the page with white gesso using some card and then left that to dry.

I layered up lots of the MME papers, stitching and distressing the edges as well as a little tear, I added some lace and did a little punching added some of the MME washi tape and a layer of glassine envelope.  Then I started working on the Tando chipboard pieces I wanted to add too - I love the reindeer and they look great just covered in brown ink and glossy accents.  However I had to play around with the holly flourish til I got what I wanted - I love that chipboard is soo forgiving when you don't like one effect.  It started off coloured with promarkers and then glossed with glossy accents but it was a bit too bold for the painty page, so I covered it in white gesso and crackle paint....but then you couldn't see the colour so I watered down and painted it with red and green distress inks and was finally happy with the result!  I layered up a little tab at the top using some of the stickers, washi tape and a punch, and cut out the title on my silhouette - stitching it on.

So this is the 1st of my Christmas pages - there will be more and today I have posted a page over at Created by ATDML, all about mists - here is the link.




14 comments:

  1. i'm glad you kept going with the backgound, so very gorgeously festive. Love the small touches like the reindeers and holly too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is soooo GORGEOUS! LOVE it! There are so many details that are just stunning to me it's hard to pin down one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the All Is Bright collection and I love what you've done here. Everything works together beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fabulous! I haven't tried gesso but I can see it really edges things nicely...looks like snow.
    I like the texture you have created on the page itself with it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun page!
    Love all the gorgeous texture!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love love love those holly leaves. A fab page all round, Sutty.
    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Love that you've expanded on the collage look and added so many great textures. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful layout, I'm not usually a 'messy' layout lover but love the drips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that collection. The reindeer is too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely page. I really like the drips and it's a brilliant subject

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the LO with all those fab details and what a super photo to be able to scrap.

    Toni xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all the techniques you have used on your layout.
    Your son's ornament is adorable ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really lovely and thanks for explaining how you get all the effects - it really helps. Love that stitched Silhouette title too.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments so thank you for leaving me one :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails